Thursday, September 4, 2008

Getting Your Chops

There is nothing better than teaching a new class the second time around. The new semester has started, and this experiment of teaching two levels of Writing and Reporting for the Media in the same room at the same time feels a lot more successful to me this time. (Thankfully, I had advanced students last semester that I've known for a long time and who were very forgiving. . .) The challenge of teaching a new class has been heightened by having a wide range of journalism skills and exposure among the two levels.

That being said, I can see this working. The advanced students, while learning a new skill set, are also reviewing their basic skills and mentoring--in a sense--the other students. And I'm absolutely confident that the multimedia exposure both classes are getting--setting up their blogs, signing up for the class wiki--is key.

So, yeah, I'm excited about this!

No comments: